Saturday, May 21, 2011

My Little Girl is Growing Up!

I knew this day would come and I have been waiting for it......the day when Allison could advocate for herself, when she could explain to someone "what those funny things on your ears" are. It happened yesterday. There is a new girl in our neighborhood, she came over to play with Allison. While they were playing, Allison was having a hard time understanding her, so Allison spoke up, she said "I am deaf, I hear with Cochlear Implants and I can't understand you, would you speak up please." It flowed so easy, no embarrassment on Allison's part, just stating the facts.
I just sat on our deck and watched the whole thing, I didn't have to explain why Allison couldn't hear her, I did not have to explain what a Cochlear Implant was, my wonderful hearing, talking daughter did it herself. I couldn't have been prouder

3 comments:

Emily said...

This is one of the things I worry about and reading this brought tears to my eyes. Way to go, Allison! You must be so proud! And give yourself a pat on the back for teaching her how to handle these situations. :)

Lily's Mom said...

Yay Allison! I hope Lily and Alexander will learn to advocate for themselves and each other as well.

Jenna said...

Hi Allison
My name is Jenna and I came across your site. U are an Inspirational hero, and I know your mommy is so proud of you, and so am I. I am deaf in right ear. I can't hear anything when there is lots of noise.
www.miraclechamp.webs.com